|Season:||Internet Season 3|
|Writers:|| Kenn Navarro|
|Previous Episode||We're Scrooged!|
|Next Episode||Just Desert|
"A Sucker for Love" is a Valentine's Day Special episode of the Happy Tree Friends internet series. It is the second double episode, the fourth of the third season, and fifty-eighth overall.
Pop gives a large lollipop to Cub, who thanks Pop and begins licking it. As Pop walks away, a jittery and giggling Nutty enters the scene and spots Cub's treat. All of a sudden, Nutty daydreams of himself in a meadow, laughing and spinning around with the lollipop in a loving way. He rushes over and takes the candy from Cub, who begins crying. Alerted by his son's cries of distress, Pop hurries back and fights over possession of the lollipop with Nutty. After a short struggle, they both let go of the lollipop at the same time, causing it to fly away and land on and get stuck to Cub's face.
Pop pulls the lollipop off but ends up tearing Cub's face off and sending the lollipop flying into the air. As Pop picks up Cub and runs off to find help, Nutty goes after the flying lollipop. He attempts to make a diving catch, but he just misses it as it falls off a cliff. Nutty sadly walks away, but he perks up when he sees a gumball machine. He now imagines himself spinning around in a meadow holding the gumball machine. He daydreams again about himself getting to second base with the machine in a movie theater by putting his arm around the machine and jiggling the coin knob. Finally, he sees himself entering a house with the machine in his arms, with him wearing a top hat and the machine wearing a bridal veil.
Back in reality, he rushes over and puts a coin in the machine. The machine doesn't dispense a gumball, however, and Nutty anxiously begins shaking it. When nothing comes out, he smashes the glass bowl of the machine with a garbage can. He scoops up some gumballs and glass shards that now litter the ground and begins chewing both, badly cutting his gums and teeth. He blows a bubble, but when it pops all over his head, glass shards get embedded in his face and he screams in pain.
In the next scene, The Mole, a paramedic, is seen putting one last adhesive bandage on Nutty's already bandaged and stitch-covered face. Though Nutty looks sad, he again perks up when he sees a heart-shaped box of chocolates in a candy store window.
Picking up where the previous episode left off, Nutty happily glances at a heart shaped box of chocolates in a candy store window. He has a daydream where he is wearing a top hat and carrying the box of chocolates that is wearing a bridal veil into a house. He then imagines himself and the box of chocolates riding a tandem bike together. Next, Nutty makes breakfast in bed for the box of chocolates, getting milk from Lumpy the milkman.
Afterwards, Nutty rides in an ambulance next to the box of chocolates lying on a gurney. The box has a bulge in its center, which means it's at the end of its pregnancy and suddenly its water breaks. The scene now shifts to Nutty happily carrying a small box of chocolates in his hands while pushing a stroller with three other small boxes of chocolate. Next, as Nutty comes home from work, Lumpy exits his house, chocolate covering his face. Nutty is then seen angrily looking at photos of Lumpy popping chocolates from the box of chocolates in his mouth. Nutty swears vengeance, when suddenly the scene shifts to him being in jail (possibly due to murdering Lumpy).
Later, now dressed in a striped shirt and hat and missing his usual candy wardrobe, he walks to the visiting area. He sees the box of chocolates, seeming to have a dent in one of its corners (possibly from being beaten by Nutty in his rage from its affair with Lumpy), on the other side of the glass. Nutty cries and begins licking the glass. Finally, on the day Nutty is released from prison, he sees the box of chocolates waiting for him in a car. He rushes over to the car and breaks down into tears and kissing the box, sorry for the way he treated it.
The scene shifts again, and now Nutty and the box of chocolates are old and on rocking chairs. Nutty hears a thump and sees that the box of chocolates has fallen off its rocker, apparently having died. Nutty cries in anguish while eating the chocolates that fell on the ground. Before returning to reality, the elderly Nutty stands in the rain at the box of chocolates' grave.
In the real world, Nutty runs over to the store and tries to enter, only to find that the door is locked. He begins pulling on the doorknob, trying to get inside. His commotion causes a candy cane sign hanging above the door to fall down. It knocks off Nutty's tail and becomes stuck in a small hole in his back. Screaming in pain, he runs away.
Elsewhere, Pop and Cub are in The Mole's ambulance which is speeding away towards the hospital. The Mole takes his eyes off the road and reaches down to grab something off the floor of the vehicle. Nutty runs into the road and slips on the gumballs that fell on the ground when he broke the gumball machine in the previous episode. He looks up and sees the ambulance speeding towards him and, before he can move out of its way, he gets hit.
Nutty is dragged along the road by the front of the ambulance, scraping his stomach on the asphalt. When the ambulance turns into the hospital, Nutty is impaled and cut on a spiked speed bump the ambulance drives over. Inside the ambulance, The Mole gives Cub what he was looking for: the lollipop from the previous episode, with Cub's face still attached to it. Before the episode ends, Cub squeals in fright (or possibly delight) at the sight of his bloody, severed face.
"Take the bitter with the sweet!"
- Nutty dies when he's impaled and cut up on a spiked speed bump.
- In Nutty's imagination, the box of chocolate falls over in one of the rockers, implying it had "died" of natural causes.
- Also in Nutty's imagination, it was implied (though not shown) that Nutty murdered Lumpy as an act of revenge for eating his "wife" (this may explain why he was in prison.)
- The candy cane decoration falls, cutting Nutty's tail off, also making a hole in his back. This turning his squirrel tail into a candy tail.
- Then skin of Cub's face gets ripped off when the lollipop stuck on his face gets torn off by Pop.
- The lollipop and all day sucker on Nutty's head occasionally switch places.
- In some scenes, Nutty's pupil in his lazy eye remains still and within the center like his normal eye.
- The candy cane on Nutty's chest occasionally changes directions.
- The bubble Nutty blew should have popped, since it had shards of glass in it. It didn't pop, however, until it was very big.
- When Pop was holding the lollipop for Cub, one of his feet are brown.
- The directions of Lumpy's antlers change when he exits Nutty's house.
- The Mole's mole changes places.
- Spiked speedbumps are used to stop vehicles from driving the wrong way. Nutty is impaled on the spikes, but the tires remain intact. It could be debated, however, that the tires are flat when The Mole comes to a stop.
- The all day sucker disappears once during the lollipop fight scene.
Quick Shot Moment
When Lumpy arrives at the door in Nutty's third fantasy to deliver the milk, there's a brief shot of Nutty with the box of chocolates getting "married."
- A "sucker for love" is a person who is desperate to look for a date.
- This is the first episode to have a pink opening, considering it is a Valentine's Day episode.
- Nutty's injury of getting his mouth cut from glass is similar to one of Sniffles' injuries in Tongue in Cheek.
- The moral of the first part is the same as in Concrete Solution.
- This is the first episode that Nutty stars since Icy You.
- This episode contains one of four instances we see Nutty without any candy on his body. He also appears without his typical candy wardrobe in Nuttin' Wrong with Candy, Chew Said a Mouthful, and Happy Tree Friends: False Alarm episode. Furthermore, this episode as well as some others offer a rare chance to see Nutty in a different wardrobe (he wears a prison uniform).
- This is one of the few 7 minute episodes with only one main character death (the others are A Change of Heart and Tongue in Cheek)
- Despite being a Valentine's Day episode, this episode had no females (unless you count the chocolate box).
- This and From A to Zoo are the only Internet episodes lasting as long as TV episodes.
- The door of the candy shop is VERY securely locked. It's entirely possible that the owner(s) know about Nutty's gluttonous reputation regarding candy, and the added locks are meant to keep him far away from their merchandise.
- Though Lumpy could have eaten Nutty's wife or the children chocolate boxes, the latter is more possible, seeing that they aren't seen for the rest of Nutty's vision. However, it should be noted that Nutty's wife was beat up and shown with all of "her" candy in "her" death, implying Lumpy only hit her, which makes it very odd that Lumpy would kill the small ones and keep alive the bigger one. However, in the photos Nutty saw when he swore revenge show Lumpy's hands with the biggest chocolate box, implying he did something with the wife and not the children. The most logical answer to this (other than this scene being at Nutty's imagination) is that Lumpy had an "affair" with Nutty's wife, Nutty got mad and beat his wife and/or killed Lumpy which got him arrested, and at Nutty's meeting with his wife, he likely felt sorrow and remorse for his actions, and by the time Nutty was freed, the children could have grown up and went away or could be at home and left before Nutty and his wife got old.
- Cub's injury is similar to Giggles' in Eyes Cold Lemonade and in Sea of Love, plus Russell with the same injury to Giggles in Sea of Love.
- This is the first episode to say who stars and who features in the episode rather than just the starring roles.
- This is one of the few times where the starring character dies but the featuring characters survive.
- Cub's injury is similar to Toothy's injury in All Flocked Up.
- Happy Tree Friends' first and second season has a well-known glitch, which is when a still frame from earlier or later in the episode appears. This episode marked the last-known occurrence, as it was fixed in later episodes. It is seen when Lumpy is at Nutty's door.
- The Cursed Idol appears in the background on Nutty's counter.
- It can be said that in the end of the episode, Nutty got a payback for his actions through the episode: he wouldn't have been crushed by the candy sign if he hadn't attempted to steal from the store, he wouldn't have tripped in the middle of the road if he hadn't destroyed the gumball machine, and the ambulance wouldn't be there at that exact moment if Nutty wasn't responsible for Cub's injuries.
- There are no female characters in this episode.
- Pop doesn't have his pipe throughout both parts of the entire episode.
- This episode shows that whenever Nutty sees a large piece of candy, he tends to daydream (or hallucinate) about him and the candy being married.
- Near the end, when The Mole digs his hand down on the ambulance floor for Cub's lollipop, Pop seems shocked that The Mole isn't "looking" at the road, implying that Pop may be unaware of The Mole's disability.
|Happy Tree Friends Internet Season 3|
|Internet Season 1 • Internet Season 2 • Internet Season 3 • Internet Season 4|
<< Season 2 • Read 'em and Weep • Can't Stop Coffin • We're Scrooged! • A Sucker for Love • Just Desert • Peas in a Pod • Wrath of Con • All Flocked Up • Something Fishy • Without a Hitch • Swelter Skelter • I Nub You • A Bit of a Pickle • See You Later, Elevator • Clause For Concern • The Chokes on You • Royal Flush • Brake the Cycle • Random Acts of Silence • Breaking Wind • All In Vein • Bottled Up Inside • No Time Like the Present • By The Seat Of Your Pants • Season 4 >>