|Cub does his chores|
while Pop takes a breather.
|Episode List:||Internet Season 1|
|Chip Off the Ol' Block(02:07)|
|Previous Episode||Treasure These Idol Moments|
|Next Episode||Nuttin' but the Tooth|
"Chip Off the Ol' Block" is an episode of the Happy Tree Friends internet series, and the twelfth of the first season. This episode introduces more about the relation between Pop and Cub: Pop's ignorance and bad parenting usually leads to Cub's demise.
Ah, the smell of fresh cut grass... and blood and guts. When your parents tell you not to stick your hands in the machinery, you better listen! Oh, and don't play with fire either. It's really, really dangerous!
While Pop relaxes in a hammock near a pile of freshly raked leaves, Cub mows the lawn. One of the blades of the lawn mower hits a brick, however, and prevents Cub from continuing his task. He bends down and tries to remove the brick while the lawnmower is still running, but luckily Pop sees this and rescues Cub before anything bad happens. Pop places Cub on the hammock, removes the brick from the lawn mower, and proceeds to mow the lawn himself.
Pop eventually comes upon broken glass and syringe needles in the yard, which he unknowingly runs over with the lawn mower. The debris that flies out from under the lawn mower cuts into Cub's skull, killing him, and knocking his body off of the hammock. Pop then walks up, raking a few loose leaves into the nearby pile. He lights his pipe and throws the lit match into the pile of leaves, setting it ablaze. A gust of wind reveals that Cub's body lay hidden beneath the pile.
"Plant kindness and gather Love!"
- Cub has his head sliced apart by various debris shot out from under Pop's lawn mower and is later burnt by the match.
- Pop's pipe switches sides of his mouth a couple of times, sometimes during continuous shots.
- Pop drops his pipe when he runs at Cub and, despite not picking it up, has it in the next shot as he removes the brick from the lawnmower.
- Some of Cub's fingers get chopped off, however they reappear at the end of the episode.
- When Cub falls into the pile of leaves behind the picnic table, the picnic table is not visible anymore in the next clip.
- When Cub is getting hit by the glass and needles that Pop had run over with his lawnmower, his lower half of his body is not visible, as if it were inside the picnic table itself.
- If one pauses when Pop places Cub on the hammock there's a brief shot of Cub with his hand in the mower.
- When Pop takes the brick out of the mower and he throws it, his pipe is with his mouth. But when his face is visible to the camera again, he has no pipe.
- Pop walked away from the hammock to finish mowing the lawn yet the glass that shot Cub was directly to his right.
- According to storyboards and commentary, the episode was originally going to end with Pop noticing Cub's death and intentionally burning his body. Feeling this was too morbid, the creators changed the ending to Pop accidentally setting Cub's body on fire.
- This is the first time Pop survives.
- This is the first and only time where Cub has an occupation or career.
- This is the first time Pop smokes his pipe.
- There are no female characters in this episode.
- This is the second and last episode of Season 1 that Pop appears until Flippin' Burgers.