|Interest(s):||Cooking, Being with friends, Sports|
|Love Interest(s):||Most fans say Flippy, but she is not in love with anyone|
|Deaths:||40||(34 from Regular Episodes)|
(3 from Smoochies)
(1 from Irregular Episodes)
(2 from HTF Break)
|First Appearance:||"Water You Wading For"|
|First Victim:||Disco Bear||from "Rink Hijinks"|
|First Death:||"Treasure These Idol Moments|
|Voice Actress:||Nica Lorber||(2000 - present)|
Flaky is one of the main characters in the Happy Tree Friends series.
A red porcupine whose quills are full of white flakes like dandruff, thus the name. Flaky is one of the most popular characters in the series and has the identifiable personality of being a very cautious and timid character, and as evidenced in Snow Place to Go, she may also have necrophobia (fear of death/dying) and possibly a fear of sharks. In Party Animal, she is shown to have a peanut allergy.
Flaky has often been viewed as a coward or very shy. However, Flaky's actions in both the internet episodes and the TV series go against this as she has been brave and on several occasions saved her own life. Flaky is actually one of the kindest characters on the show, such as saving a baby bird in Take a Hike. She is often seen around Lumpy, Sniffles, Flippy, and Cuddles. Additionally, when hanging around with Cuddles, Flaky is often forcefully dragged into situations that lead to one or both of their demises, despite her warning Cuddles about possible dangers that could occur as seen in Water You Wading For, Let it Slide, and The Wrong Side of the Tracks. Her deaths tend to involve either being skinned, burned, or eaten.
Flaky is a very sweet and helpful character, as evidenced by a couple of the TV episodes. All these factors suggest that Flaky is not only overly cautious (as opposed to being a coward), but also one of the more kind characters of the series. However, as seen in the episode Snow Place to Go, she seems to be somewhat unstable - near the end of the episode, she begins to go insane and makes a companion with a garden gnome, singing "Rock-A-Bye Baby" to it after being trapped in the Arctic with no food or civilization. This is a very odd thing about Flaky but in some instances she is very strong and very brave, as in Ski Ya, Wouldn't Wanna Be Ya. Although in many instances she is very weak, even when she is powered by fear, this doesn't usually lead to her death but it can confuse many characters and they sometimes misconcept something else. This look is mostly looked in Without a Hitch, although then again this was her imagination.
In Party Animal, it is revealed that she is allergic to peanuts, as she gets a purple rash, big lips, and bloats up like a balloon. She also has a fear of flying, and is prone to vomiting. The fact she is a porcupine often causes trouble - her quills often impale other characters and destroy objects unintentionally. Because of her quills, Flippy even once used her as a weapon with which he killed Cuddles in Keepin' it Reel. Also, she is sometimes skinned, as in Class Act and Let it Slide, when she falls down a tight space, her quills stick-out when going down. When she comes out of the other end, her muscles are exposed.
The excessive dandruff has sometimes been exploited by other characters. In the Second Serving DVD, she was given her own breakfast cereal called Flaky Flakes, which resemble Cornflakes with red and white pieces mixed in. Her dandruff is also used to create a snowing effect for a play in Class Act. A running gag in the series is whenever she runs, shakes, or is struck by something, her dandruff would always fall out.
Flaky's first and third kills were done after she had been killed. In the episode, Rink Hijinks, when Disco Bear carelessly pushes her, she falls onto Lumpy's floor buffer, causing her quills to fly out of control and pierce Disco Bear to death. In Party Animal, after she got popped like a balloon by The Mole, her quills pinned him to the wall. Her second kill is from Let it Slide, because Lumpy accidentally turned off the water, she loses her quills all over the water slide, separates the water slide, and later on, when Cuddles slides down, he is sliced in two by the separated slide; due to this, it is assumed Flaky caused Cuddles' death but not likely because the screw popped out before Flaky even went down the slide.
Flaky is also shown to be close friends with Flippy as they are shown doing activities together such as playing hide & seek, going camping, and going to the movies. In Party Animal she even organized a surprise birthday party for him. However, her friendship with Flippy has led to her death several times because of Flippy's flip-outs. Interestingly, in Party Animal, Flippy did not kill Flaky even though she instigated the flip-out and she was right in front of him (although she looked very different, puffed up, and Flippy didn't kill The Mole either). In Double Whammy Part 1 her screams snapped him out of one of his flip-outs.
She has been killed many times, but survived in Water You Wading For, Out of Sight, Out of Mime, I Get a Trick Out of You (not seen but heard), Stealing The Spotlight (Debatable), From A to Zoo, The Wrong Side of the Tracks, Ipso Fatso, A Change of Heart, Double Whammy Part 1, Easy Comb, Easy Go, Happy Trails Pt. 1 (but not part 2), Chew Said a Mouthful, Something Fishy, The Chokes On You and Random Acts Of Silence.
Many debates have been raised as to the true gender of Flaky. Several fans assume that Flaky is male due to her lack of a distinguishing feminine appearance; female characters tend to have long eyelashes, where as Flaky has none. Series creator Rhode Montijo once stated that he initially created Flaky as a male, however, Mondo Media regards Flaky as a female character. Her true gender has caused much confusion; even the Happy Tree Friends website is ambiguous to this, but most of the creators refer to Flaky as a female. This is most obvious in the DVD commentaries where they regularly refer to Flaky as a "her", such as the commentary for And the Kitchen Sink. Some even see her quills as his having long hair, especially due to the dandruff and the way they respond to hair growth formula in Easy Comb, Easy Go. Also she carried a flower suitcase in Wingin' It, and the episode description referred to Flaky with the female pronoun "her".In "Something Fishy", Flaky is seen trying to decide whether to enter the girls or the boy's bathroom, further playing on this gender confusion. The fact that Flaky wasn't in the same bathroom as Petunia and Giggles may suggest that Flaky could be a boy.
On the official website, Flaky's gender was originally listed as "Male" later as "Female", but it was changed to "Unknown".
However, on April 28, 2012, on the twitter for Happy Tree Friends, in reply to someone's tweet, it was an actual disscusion about Flaky's gender and they intentionally stated Flaky was a girl, confirming Flaky's gender and ending the debation.
HTF Break RolesEdit
Flaky is considered the most cowardly character in Happy Tree Friends. She has a long list of phobias (irrational fears), and this includes:
- Birds (ornithophobia) - From A to Zoo
- Darkness (achluophobia) - Without A Hitch (possibly)
- Dead Things (necrophobia) - Snow Place to Go
- Driving (amaxophobia) - Easy Comb, Easy Go
- Flying (aerophobia) - Wingin' It
- Heights (acrophobia) - Ski Ya, Wouldn't Wanna be Ya!
- Flippy - Without A Hitch
- Rats (musophobia or murophobia) - Out of Sight, Out of Mime
- Roller coasters (coasterphobia) - The Wrong Side of the Tracks
- Skiing (or possibly momentum) - Ski Ya, Wouldn't Wanna be Ya!
- Water (hydrophobia) - Let it Slide, Wipe Out
- Sharks (Selachophobia) - Wipe Out
Occupations and CareersEdit
For more information, see List of Occupations
- Soccer Goalie - A Change of Heart
- Trapeze Artist - Mime to Five
- Grocer - See What Develops
- Explorer - Idol Curiosity
- Water Dunk Game Victim - Aw, Shucks!
- Student Driver - Easy Comb, Easy Go
- Student - Something Fishy
Seen on Computer and on TVEdit
- Treasure Those Idol Moments: Hit by Lumpy with a car while hanging from a jungle gym. (Idol-induced).
- Hide and Seek: Strangled and hung from a wire by Flippy.
- Boo Do You Think You Are?: Melted by lava, leaving her as a mere skeleton, save for the upper part of her head.
- This Is Your Knife: Thrown into a campfire by Flippy while hiding in her sleeping bag.
- Happy Trails Part 2: Jumping the Shark: Murdered by Flippy, Lumpy, Handy, and Sniffles for puncturing their escape raft. (Death not seen)
- Rink Hijinks: Shredded by Lumpy's floor waxer after being accidentally pushed by Disco Bear.
- Class Act: Dies in an explosion.
- Keepin' it Reel: Strangled and decapitated by Flippy who proceeds to use her as a weapon.
- Let it Slide: Sinks and drowns after sliding down, and getting skinned by a dehydrated slide.
- Stealing the Spotlight: Possibly dies from Lumpy's Christmas lights. (debatable)
- Ski Ya, Wouldn't Wanna Be Ya!: Sliced into cubes after flying through a chain-link fence.
- From A to Zoo: Along with Lumpy, possibly dies in a bus crash or killed by a baboon. (debatable, offscreen)
- Flaky's Baseball Smoochie Catch: Gets hit in the eye by a baseball so hard that it pops out in a geyser of blood.
- Flaky's Baseball Smoochie Bat: Struck by lightning while holding a metal bat. Her charred upper body is then turned to dust when it is hit by a wayward baseball.
- Flaky's Baseball Smoochie Gum: Suffocates after blowing and popping a chewing gum bubble that covers her entire face.
- Ski Patrol: Flies into, and is wedged in, a cliffside and gets crushed to pieces by a snowboard.
- From Hero to Eternity: Sucked into a whirlpool and burned by lava.
- And the Kitchen Sink: Gets hit by chunk of wall while trying to cross the street.
- Party Animal: Has an allergic reaction to peanuts causing her to bloat like a balloon. Popped by The Mole.
- Concrete Solution: Possibly dies when bridge collapses. (debatable)
- Who's to Flame?: Impaled through head by a klaxon.
- Take a Hike: A mother eagle turns her body into a nest.
- Snow Place to Go: Eaten by an orca.
- Dunce Upon a Time: Electrocuted and impaled by a fork while hiding behind a piece of toast in toaster.
- Mime to Five: Bisected in half by Cuddles' intestines.
- Chew Said a Mouthful: Jaw broken by umbrella (this is an injury)
- See What Develops: Drowns in a store.
- Idol Curiosity: Devoured by flesh-eating flowers.
- Aw, Shucks!: Head knocked off by a huge piece of popcorn.
- Wipe Out!: Head bashed by a coconut and eaten by seagulls.
- Wingin' It: Killed by Godzilla at the end of the episode (Offscreen, Kenn Navarro confirmed this).
- Wrath of Con: Crushed in the building.
- Without A Hitch: Blown apart by the deploying airbag .
- A Bit of a Pickle: Sliced by sheet metal siding.
- Happy New Year: Crushed by Lumpy's van along with Russell.
- Take Your Seat: A spring goes through Flaky and part of her liver comes out.
- The Chokes on You: Likely chokes on a doughnut (debatable).
- Royal Flush: Impaled through the head by a toilet plunger.
- Breaking Wind: Skin burned off by splendid's blast.
- By the Seat of Your Pants: Sliced horizontally in half.
- Overkill DVD box set: Possibly died from Flippy's bomb.
- False Alarm Cover: Her quills were on fire as she fell off of building. (Debatable and not shown).
- Happy Tree Friends: False Alarm gameplay: Deaths and injuries various, depending on the environment of the level, such as getting sliced by blades and saws, getting crushed and flattened like paper or cardboard, getting electrocuted, or getting lit on fire.
- Spring Training March 2006 Calendar: Dies when she hits one of Flippy's grenades with a baseball bat. (Death not seen)
- Fall Harvest Wallpaper: Falls and splatters on the ground. (Death not seen)
- Un-named Wallpaper: Killed when Flippy's dynamite explodes. (Death not seen)
Seen in comicsEdit
- Making a Good Bleed: Killed in a car explosion.
- Lost Claws: Sliced by ladder.
Seen on Computer and on TVEdit
- Class Act: Is skinned when she falls down a chimney.
- Ski Ya, Wouldn't Wanna be Ya (before death): Steps on a nail sticking out of a plank with both feet, and her arm gets stretched when she tries holding onto a branch
- The Wrong Side of The Tracks: Vomits while stuck in an upside-down roller coaster cart.
- Wipe Out (before death): Runs into a coconut tree, and gets hit by a coconut, exposing her brain.
- Wingin' It: Vomits before she enters the airport, and vomits 5 or 7 times again when she is in the plane's bathroom (as Cuddles used the barf bags as puppets), causing her to puke all over the room.
- Party Animal (before death): Suffers an allergic reaction to peanuts (twice), causing her to develop a rash and swell up.
- Ipso Fatso: Hit in the head by one of Lumpy's detached arms.
- Something Fishy: The flesh on both of her hands are bitten off by Russell's piranha.
- Without a Hitch (before death): Receives lacerations and is impaled by glass from her car windshield.
- The Chokes on You: If not killed, then injured when she chokes on a donut.
Number of KillsEdit
- Cuddles – 3 ("Let it Slide", "Keepin' it Reel" along with Flippy, "Mime to Five" along with the ducks)
- Giggles – 2 ("Ski Ya, Wouldn't Wanna Be Ya!" debatable, "Mime to Five" along with the ducks)
- Toothy – 0
- Lumpy – 1 ("Mime to Five" along with the ducks)
- Petunia – 1 ("Ski Ya, Wouldn't Wanna Be Ya!" debatable)
- Handy – 1 ("Easy Comb, Easy Go")
- Nutty – 1 ("Mime to Five" along with the ducks)
- Sniffles – 0
- Pop – 0
- Cub - 0
- The Mole – 2 ("Party Animal", " Mime to Five" along with the ducks)
- Disco Bear – 2 ("Rink Hijinks", "Ski Ya, Wouldn't Wanna Be Ya!")
- Russell – 1 ("Mime to Five" along with the ducks)
- Lifty – 1 ("Happy trails Part 2: Jumpin the Sharks"along with the sharks)
- Shifty – 1 ("Happy Trails Part 2: Jumpin the Sharks"along with the sharks)
- Mime – 1 ("Wingin' It")
- Cro-Marmot – 0
- Flippy - 1 ("Without a Hitch" along with Lumpy)
- Splendid – 0
- Lammy - 0
- Generic Tree Friends – 0
- Others – 3 (3 chicks, although Lumpy killed many more in "From A to Zoo")
- In the "Collect Them All" section, it reveals that Flaky was banned from balloon,glass,and party shops due to her quills. This is also seen in her MySpace page.
- She is usally showin to die from chocking or getting strangled.
- Even though Flaky is afraid of birds, as seen in Take a Hike, she actually tried to help a little baby bird that fell off the nest (This might have been because the baby birds in "From A to Zoo" were actually baby chickens and she's probably only afraid of certain species of birds).
- Flaky, Lumpy, Handy, Russell, and Sneaky are the only characters without visible ears.
- Flaky likes corn dogs, and hot dogs as seen episodes The Wrong Side of the Tracks and Double Whammy Part 1.
- In From A to Zoo, and in Take a Hike, every other character were humming the Happy Tree Friend theme song except her (possibly due to the fact that she was nervous to sing).
- Flaky suffers motion sickness and vomits, as seen in the episodes The Wrong Side of the Tracks and Wingin' It.
- Flaky is considered a tomboy because she seems to enjoy male-oriented or jock sports (her Smoochie is baseball-themed and she plays soccer with Cuddles in A Change of Heart).
- Flaky's quills are considered to be her long hair, as they grew with hair tonic from Easy Comb, Easy Go and the dandruff in her quills thus her name. This is logical, as the quills of real-life porcupines are a kind of hair. She sometimes impailes others on her quills.
- On Flaky's MySpace page, she is listed as a Gemini on her own home page.
- Flaky saw Lumpy naked in the original verison of Let it Slide, but in the edited version, she was replaced with Giggles.
- Flaky is the first character to kill others after she has been killed.
- Flaky is arguably one of the few characters not to kill Petunia.
- She was also the first victim of Cuddles, Sniffles,Mime,Mr. Pickles and Handy (debatably)and "Good Flippy".
- Flaky's most frequent victims are Disco Bear,Evil Flippy and Cuddles. Coincidentally, she is also the most frequent victim of both of these characters accidental kills.
- She has Cuddles, Disco Bear, Giggles and The Mole as frequent victims of being jabbed by her quills.
- She appeared in the first five TV segments.
- Flaky is one of the playable characters in Happy Tree Friends: False Alarm.
- She is one of the characters not to die in their debut episodes, the others are Lumpy, Handy, Petunia (Debatable), Flippy, Splendid, Cro-Marmot, The Mole, Disco Bear, Mime, and Lammy.
- When looking at the storyboard for Flippin' Burgers on the "Second Serving" DVD, Flaky is drawn in place of Petunia working at the grill.
- She is the only female character to kill Flippy.
- In all three episodes Disco Bear starred in in the TV series, Flaky (debatably), Petunia and Giggles appeared as well and survived in them.
- Flaky is one of the only two red characters. The other is Splendont. Splendont is red to represent evil,also an evil twin of Splendid accidentally created by Sniffles. while Flaky is a one-off color, as it would be hard to distinguish blood with red fur/skin.
- Flaky almost always laughs nervously in every episode.
- Most of her kills involve her sharp quills.
- Her survival rate is 32.6% and in TV series it is 35%.
- Flaky is one of three main characters whose first appearance, first death and first kill took place in different episodes. The other two are Cro-Marmot and (debatably) Handy.
- She, along with Disco Bear, Splendid and Flippy are the only characters who had survived their debut episodes in both internet and TV series.
- In the TV series: Lumpy, Sniffles, The Mole, Toothy, Cuddles and Mime appeared in all of her starring roles.
- She is one of the few characters - along with Toothy, Lumpy, and a generic tree friend - to have killed Flippy.
- Flaky was originally going to be called Corky.
- A concept art of Flaky depicts her with visible ears.
- All in Vein is the only episode that Lammy appered without Flaky.
- She is the first character to break the fourth wall.
- So far the only starring role she survived was "Water You Wading For".
- 0Fans are shown to argue that she is in a relationship with Flippy as they do activities with each other despite how they have killed each other.
- Flaky and Lammy are the only females who have yet to star in a Love Bites episode.
- Flaky is the person most paired with in fanart but that may due to the fact that she's one of the females.
- Flaky is the only female character in the series that does not have any eye lashes.
- Flaky is almost always nervous.
- Flaky at many times seems pigeon toed as she sticks both of her feet inward, although she is usually seen doing this when she is nervous. Even though that at some times when she is not nervous, scared, or shocked, she will walk with both of her legs inward, as if she was pigeon toed, most noticable in the episode, The Wrong side of the Tracks , when she is walking with Cuddles to the Roller coaster.
- Most of Flaky's kills happen in the episode "Mime to Five".
- Flaky was originally the girl scout in You're Bakin' Me Crazy instead of Giggles.
- Flaky and Handy are the only 2 characters so far to be intentionally left alive by Evil Flippy. Though Handy did get injured in By The Seat Of Your Pants Flippy decided to leave him alive.
- ↑ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz5JomM0qww
- ↑ https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=458616457493009
- ↑ https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=460113367343318
- ↑ http://happytreefriends.wikia.com/wiki/File:4fk.jpg
|Happy Tree Friends Main Cast|
Cuddles • Giggles • Toothy • Lumpy • Petunia • Handy •