- Sometimes it is debatable whether a main character died or if it was just a generic tree friend due to their similar appearances and when the main character's features become indistinguishablr. Lumpy and Cro-Marmot are the only two main characters who can't be mistaken for Generic Tree Friends due to their appearances.
- Because of his appearance, Toothy is often mistaken for a Generic Tree Friend, especially if he is in the distance or driving a vehicle when he dies.
- The only time Generic Tree Friends appear onscreen in the TV series is in the episode Mime to Five.
- Mime is the only character to directly acknowledge a Generic Tree Friend, as seen when he tries to cheer up a generic tree friend with a balloon animal in Class Act.
- In the episode Out of Sight, Out of Mime, there is what appears to be a Generic Tree Friend's ghost as Mime walks up to The Mole's house.
- In early episodes, the Generic Tree Friends were colored. Furthermore, these colors were various shades of light blues, pinks and yellows. In later episodes (including current ones), their coloring has changed to a very dark shade of purple or black, depending on the episode.
- The Mole, Lumpy, Fliqpy, Nutty, Toothy, Mime, Splendont, Splendid, Pop, Cub, Giggles, Flaky, Lifty, Shifty, Sniffles, Petunia, and Cuddles are the characters who have killed a Generic Tree Friend at least once.