Buddhist Monkey (on a poster)
|Previous Episode||We Wish You|
|Next Episode||Take Your Seat|
Happy New Year is the fifth episode in the HTF Break series.
The short begins with several Happy Tree Friends entering a cinema. Outside of the theater stand Flaky, Russell, and Cuddles. Suddenly, out of nowhere, a van crashes into the building, crushing and killing Flaky and Russell. Cuddles gives a big sigh of relief. Unfortunately, Lumpy, the driver of the van, swings his door open and slams it right onto Cuddles, possibly killing him. Lumpy then runs out of his van with a film reel.
Inside the cinema, Petunia, Nutty, Toothy, and Giggles all sit down. Unbeknownst to them, a glass chandelier dangling above them is beginning to break loose. Lumpy runs into the projection room, puts his reel on the projector, and immediately turns it on. On the screen, the movie displays the text "Happy New Year", with other words soon flashing briefly on the screen. The film soon dies down, the scene cutting back to the cinema, where it is revealed that the chandelier has fallen, and that it has crushed the four characters mentioned above.
Back in the projector room, Lumpy has lost control of the film, and it begins wrapping around him. Suddenly, the film goes into his body, and as a result, his body gets sliced into pieces and begins falling apart.
- Russell and Flaky are hit and killed by Lumpy's van.
- Cuddles is hit by the van's door (Debatable).
- Petunia, Nutty, Giggles and Toothy are crushed by a glass chandelier (Deaths not seen).
- Lumpy is cut up by the projector's film.
- Amount of surviving main characters: 11 (10 including Debatable deaths)
- Amount of dead main characters: 7 (8 including Debatable deaths)
- Total Rate: 63.64% (55.56 including Debatable deaths)
- Lumpy crashes his car into a movie theater.
- A loose chandelier falls from the ceiling.
- In the wide shot showing the theater's building, the small tree in the background (on the right) overlaps the bigger tree on the foreground.
- Lifty and Shifty's pupils are white.
- The Mole disappears before the screen has panned past him completely, and he does not reappear when Lumpy drives into the wall, even though he is seen walking in that direction.
- Disco Bear's head goes in front of the wall, even though he is in the background and, therefore, behind the wall.
- When Cuddles drops his skateboard, it disappears before it flies out of view.
- Sniffles suddenly disappears just before Lumpy's van crashes.
- No blood can be seen when Flaky and Russell are crushed.
- When Lumpy dies, the film around his body disappears.
- Splendid, Flippy, Lammy, and Mr. Pickels are the only characters who do not appear in this short.
- This is one of the few episodes in which Lumpy's antlers do not switch places.
- This is one of the only four episodes in which Lifty and Shifty survive together. The other three are Ipso Fatso, Easy Comb, Easy Go, and Concrete Solution.
- This is the first and only HTF Break to have more than one death.
- The Mole and Mime are the only characters to appear in more than one HTF Break and survive them all.
- Flaky and Russell's deaths are similar to Sniffles' injury in A Sight for Sore Eyes.
- Lumpy's death is similar to Nutty's death in A Sight for Sore Eyes.
- On the wall of movie posters, there is a poster with Buddhist Monkey on it behind Cuddles, a poster with "Happy Tree Friends & Friends" on it; referencing the show of the same name, and a poster with Mole in the City-style The Mole on it behind Russell.
- This is the only Break episode in which Lumpy dies.
- This is the only irregular episode that Shifty survives in.
- Despite the fact that this break called for new episodes, the series went on to go a hiatus for the whole year, making only a few other breaks (Take Your Seat, Moppin Up, Bite Sized, and Pop & Corn), all of which said "Happy Tree Friends is dead!". This caused some fans to believe that the series could be cancelled. Later in November, the last three breaks (Butter Me Up, Cheesy Does It, and Tunnel Vision) signaled the end of the hiatus and the making of a new full-length episode.
- This caused some fans to believe that Mondo lied to them. However, the video seems to show that the new episodes were coming the following year, not the present year it aired. It also may have been to inform the fans that the series was not being cancelled, just on a hiatus.
- This is the first HTF Break to take place in a movie theater.
- There is a can of beans lying on top of a shelf full of film reels in the projection room. This could be a reference to Lumpy's love for beans in the episode A Hole Lotta Love.
- This was the last short before Mondo uploaded the Happy Tree Friends is dead! shorts.