|Writers:|| Kenn Navarro|
For the game with the same name, see Happy Tree Friends: False Alarm (video game).
Happy Tree Friends: False Alarm is an irregular episode. It was featured along with the game. There are two parts; the first part is shown prior to gameplay, and the second part is shown upon completion of the game.
The complete episode from the Happy Tree Friends: False Alarm downloadable game. Nutty jumps out of the frying pan and into the fire when he quits his addiction to candy and picks up another habit instead.
Nutty happily walks down the road and eats a large lollipop in one bite. He giggles as the sugar courses through his system, but is soon saddened that his sugary treat is gone. He is beckoned into an alley by Lifty and Shifty, both wearing trench coats and their trademark grins. The greedy duo offer Nutty an entire dump truck full of candy, which Nutty eagerly accepts, tossing them a wad of cash to seal the deal. Nutty opens his arms wide as the dump truck opens and the mountain of candy begins tilting towards him.
The episode suddenly cuts to an emergency room where Sniffles, who is working as a doctor, looks at an x-ray of Nutty's stomach, which has been pierced by candy canes and other various candies. Later, a bandaged Nutty sighs happily as he has made a full physical recovery. He becomes confused, however, when a door closes on him and he finds himself locked in a padded room. From a security monitor, the viewer sees Nutty go through various episodes of sugar withdrawal, including laughing maniacally, crying uncontrollably, screaming in distress, scratching the walls of the room, and making an ice sculpture of a candy cane with a chainsaw. Eventually, Nutty kicks the door down and emerges a changed squirrel, now sporting a full head of hair, a tie, and no longer wearing candy as a wardrobe or sporting a lazy eye. He and Sniffles shake hands, happy at the progress Nutty has made.
Nutty walks down the street again, and is once more beckoned by Lifty and Shifty, who are standing in an alley. Once more they offer Nutty candy, but this time he refuses, having been rehabilitated. Undeterred, they show Nutty some video games and some controllers, which seem to capture his interest. Later, at Nutty's house, he is seen playing video games with the same interest he had in the candy he once loved.
Time goes by and Nutty remains in his house playing video games, not even going outside to collect his mail. After about a year of playing, Nutty now looks more like his former self (minus the lazy eye), with gaming controllers, rather than candy, decorating his body. One day, one of his video game consoles breaks down and Nutty grows agitated. He exits his house and is blinded by the sunlight. He sees Lifty and Shifty's van, filled with stolen video game equipment, and rushes over to get it. However, they deceive him and drive off.
Nutty spots Cuddles driving his car and runs out into the street to stop him. When Cuddles stops, Nutty runs over, throws Cuddles out of the car, a la Grand Theft Auto, and steals it to chase after Lifty and Shifty. During the chase, he swerves to avoid hitting The Mole, who crosses the road pushing a shopping cart. Because of this, Nutty accidentally crashes into Petunia, who is riding a bike delivering papers, a la Paperboy. Hitting her causes Petunia's intestines to splatter on the windshield. The pieces of intestines resemble Tetris pieces, and Nutty tilts the car in order to get one piece to fit in with a corresponding hole.
Because of this distraction, Nutty does not see that Lifty and Shifty's van has come to a stop in front of him at a construction site. He crashes into the back of the van, forcing Lifty and Shifty through the windshield of Cuddles' car. The brothers are decapitated and their mutilated heads slide on the ground, resembling Pac-Man and one of the ghosts. The crash also causes a flaming barrel to fly into the air and land on The Mole, who is standing nearby. The barrel tilts over and begins rolling towards Nutty.
Being reminded of Donkey Kong, Nutty jumps over the barrel and grabs a mallet. He runs at the barrel and begins smashing it, unknowingly killing The Mole in his efforts. Ready to claim his prize, Nutty opens the doors to Lifty and Shifty's van, only to find that all of the video game equipment has been destroyed in the crash. Now without video games in his life, Nutty spots a candy cane lying on top of a pile of games and picks it up. He licks it and begins jumping and laughing maniacally as he shoves the candy cane in his mouth, once more addicted to sugar. As the episode ends, his lazy eye returns.
- Nutty is impaled through the stomach by candy canes and other assorted pieces of candy.
- Cuddles is thrown out of his car by Nutty.
- Petunia is hit by a car and cut in half at the waist, sending her organs and intestines everywhere.
- Lifty and Shifty fly through a car's windshield, decapitating them and mutilating their heads.
- The Mole is crushed to death when Nutty repeatedly hits a barrel he is in with a mallet.
- When Nutty is licking his lollipop, the candy stuck to his fur is in its correct place. When Shifty and Lifty show him candy, it is inverted.
- Nutty easily kicked the door out of his room open once he becomes sane, which he still could have easily done while he was trapped. However, it is possible that Sniffles unlocked the door off screen once Nutty became cured.
- Judging by the fact that Nutty did not stop playing his games to even get the mail for almost a year, it is highly unlikely that he even ate, used the bathroom or paid electric bills within that time period, which would result in him dying from starvation, exploding, or not receiving the electricity required to play his video games. However, various opened canned foods, noodles with chopsticks, bottled juices, and canned sodas can be seen around the video games items and CDs. Thus, it is unlikely that he would have died from starvation. Furthermore, if he is aware enough to eat in order to have the energy to keep playing, he would be aware enough to go to the bathroom and pay the electricity bill.
- Nutty should have slanted his car more than 360 degrees to the left to fit the L-shaped intestines into the base, yet he slanted only 45 degrees to the left and the intestines fit.
- Just before Nutty crashes his car into Lifty and Shifty, Petunia's intestines are missing from the windshield.
- After playing video games for almost a year, Nutty has bags under his eyes and stubble around his mouth. These details appear and disappear periodically throughout the climax of the episode (notably, when Nutty sees The Mole rolling towards him, he lacks both wrinkles and stubble).
- There is no possible way that The Mole could have made it from the point where Nutty swerved to avoid running him over, to the construction site before Lifty, Shifty, and Nutty.
- When the barrel lands on top of The Mole, his feet are sticking out of the open end, but when he falls over after hitting the pole, his head is facing the opening.
- When Nutty sees the rolling barrel he is in his car. However, in the next shot, he is suddenly outside his car.
- When The Mole is stuck inside the barrel and Nutty notices it, his eye is the same Pac-Man eye that the other characters have. In the next shot, it is back to normal.
- Since this episode is mostly centered around video games, video game references are to be expected. Here are all the known references:
- Grand Theft Auto: When Nutty hijacks Cuddles' car.
- Paperboy: When Petunia is riding a bike, delivering newspapers.
- Tetris: When Petunia's intestines splatter on the car's windshield, they resemble Tetris blocks.
- Pac-Man: Lifty and Shifty's mutilated heads resemble a ghost and Pac-Man.
- Donkey Kong: The way Nutty hops over a flaming barrel and runs at/hits it with a mallet.
- Whack-a-Mole: When Nutty whacks The Mole with a mallet.
- This is the second episode with Nutty in a starring role in which he does not die (the first being Nuttin' but the Tooth).
- It should be noted that the car Nutty hijacks resembles a car from Grand Theft Auto IV & its episodes and Grand Theft Auto V called the Peyote in game, which in turn looks like a first generation Ford Thunderbird.
- This episode contains one of four instances in the series of Nutty being seen without candy adorning his body. The other three instances are in Nuttin' Wrong with Candy, Chew Said a Mouthful, and A Sucker for Love.
- The stages of Nutty's candy withdrawal are:
- Looking out the window on his door, presumably trying to get someone to let him out.
- Sitting in a corner, bored.
- Making an ice sculpture of a candy cane with a chainsaw.
- Sitting in the corner, twitching and looking ready to snap, amid several scratches on the walls and his half-melted ice sculpture.
- Lying in the middle of the room, laughing hysterically.
- Lying in the middle of the room, crying hysterically.
- Screaming at the camera in desperation or insanity.
- All of the background music in this episode is originally from Chew Said a Mouthful.
- This marks the first time a character's guts slide down a window, resembling Tetris pieces. The second time is in Chore Loser.
- Every character who dies in this episode has their intestines exposed.
- After a year has gone by and Nutty is still playing video games, the sounds on his TV are the same sounds Nutty made when he died in All Work and No Play.
- Of all the characters in this episode, only two of them (Nutty and The Mole) are actually playable in the game.
- Petunia is the only character who dies without any video game sound effects in the background.
- There is a foam bowl of noodles to the right of Nutty while he is playing games.
- This is one of the few episodes in which Sniffles is a doctor instead of Lumpy.
- Despite the fact that Nutty returns to his addiction to candy in the end, Warren Graff has confirmed through a reply on a forum that Nutty is still addicted to video games.
- Just like in Class Act and Chew Said a Mouthful, Nutty is responsible for every death in this episode. But unlike in those episodes, however, he does not die in this one.
- This is so far the only episode in which Nutty's lazy eye functions normally.
- The Mole is warming his hands in the opposite direction of the flaming barrel due to his blindness.