|Season:||Internet Season 1|
|Aired:||May 26, 2000|
|Writers:|| Warren Graff|
|Previous Episode||Nuttin' but the Tooth|
|Next Episode||Whose Line Is It Anyway?|
Hide and Seek is an episode of the Happy Tree Friends internet series, the fourteenth of the first season. This is the episode that introduces Flippy (and his murderous alter ego, Fliqpy), the war-torn bear who flips out and kills everyone in sight every time he sees and/or hears something relating to war.
HTF Episode Description
Be prepared for your first introduction to Flippy, the troubled war veteran bear who suffers regular flashbacks. Flippy is the only Happy Tree Friend that intentionally inflicts harm on his fellow friends, which is how an innocent game of hide and seek turns deadly.
The episode begins with Toothy, Petunia, and Flaky playing a friendly game of hide and seek with a new Happy Tree Friend named Flippy, a green bear who was once a soldier in the army. Flippy begins counting, while the others run to hide. As Flippy continues to count, a woodpecker behind him begins pecking at the tree it's perching on. The sound of the woodpecker's pecking causes Flippy to stop counting, and act all scared. Just seconds later, Flippy thinks of these sounds as a machine gun being fired, and he starts to act all vicious, as if he's back in a war. Once Flippy "flips" out (hence, his name) and becomes his alter ego Fliqpy, he throws a Bowie knife at the woodpecker, killing it. Once that's done, Fliqpy runs off to find the others.
At Toothy's hiding spot, behind a tree, Toothy giggles while hiding. Unbeknownst to him, Fliqpy , in camouflage, grabs Toothy's head, and gives it a big twist, which snaps his neck. Elsewhere, a panting Flaky continues to look for her hiding spot. Suddenly, a piano wire comes down and it snatches Flaky by her neck, which strangles her to death.
Petunia, having witnessed Flaky's death begins to back away in fear while whimpering. Petunia then trips and falls into a Punji stake pit set up by Fliqpy. As Petunia yells in pain by being pierced all over her body, Fliqpy arrives. Seeing Flippy, Petunia struggles to lift her arm, and hopes that 'Flippy' will grab her hand to pull her out. Not understanding her motive, Fliqpy instead gives Petunia an activated grenade. Seeing what Fliqpy gave her, Petunia screams in horror as the iris closes in on the active grenade. When the iris closes in completely, a loud explosion is heard, signaling the grenade exploded, killing her.
"After the rain comes a rainbow!"
- A Woodpecker is stabbed with a Bowie knife.
- Toothy's neck is snapped.
- Flaky is hung by piano wire.
- Petunia is blown up by a grenade. (Death not seen)
- Petunia falls into a pit and has her entire body impaled on spikes.
- The arm Petunia lifted after she fell in to the stake pit was her left arm, but when Fliqpy hands her a grenade, it is now her right arm.
- We saw Flippy's eyes turn yellow when he flipped out, but his eyes are still the same as before when he kills the woodpecker and the other tree friends. His teeth remain normal as well, while future episodes will have them become crooked or sharpen into fangs.
- Fliqpy couldn't possibly reach Petunia to hand her the grenade. The pit was too deep.
- When Fliqpy goes to hand Petunia the grenade, his flipped out voice can be heard, but it is supposed to be normal.
- When Toothy is hiding behind a tree, Toothy's tail is taller then his body, but when Fliqpy appears on the tree Toothy's head is higher then his tail
- When Petunia was backing away in fear just before she fell into the stake pit, her eyelashes aren't visible.
- When Flaky is hung, her quills are missing.
- Petunia's blood spills before she falls into the pit.
- When handing Petunia the grenade, Flippy was supposed to be flipped out, yet he looked normal.
- Toothy has normal buckteeth, when he was at the tree.
- When Fliqpy was visible just before he broke Toothy's neck his eyes were facing outwards, making him look cross-eyed
- When Fliqpy kills the woodpecker, his dog tags are missing.
- In the teaser for this episode, the ground seems to be in a different color variety.
- Although Fliqpy is responsible for the deaths, the woodpecker is to be blamed because he starts pecking, leading to Flippy flipping out.
- This is the first episode where a non-anthropomorphic animal is killed.
- A "WAH!" sound is heard when Fliqpy kills the woodpecker with his Bowie knife.
- This is the first episode where Flippy flips out.
- This is the first time a character intentionally kills another.
- This is the third time in a row where Toothy is the first character in a row.
- This is (so far) the only time we see the characters play hide and seek.
- This is one of the rare instances where Flaky and Petunia play/interact with each other.
- When Petunia falls down, her hands are round cut similar to Jesus when he gets nailed to the cross.
- The way Fliqpy kills Toothy & Flaky is the same as Rambo did in Rambo: First Blood Part 2 .
- After Flippy goes insane, he doesn't look like his Fliqpy form, instead appearing with normal eyes. This is because this is his first episode, and they were still working on his design.
- It could've been an error, despite this episode being Flippy's debut episode.
- This episode reveals that Flippy's first victim was a woodpecker. But his first victim that was a main character was Toothy. However, this kill is blood-free because Toothy's neck was snapped.
- The YouTube thumbnail for the Classics Remastered version spoils Petunia's injury before her death.
- This episode's title has no pun or reference.
- The teaser released before the episode is a direct reference to the reality game show Survivor which has a similar logo and their slogan is "Out Wit, Out Play, Outlast".
- Not counting the woodpecker's death, Petunia's death is the only death containing blood or gore in this episode.
- This is one of the episodes where Flippy makes "flipping sound" when he is flipping out.